Thursday, April 7, 2011

Life moves too fast.

Warning: this is a super random blog…it has little bits of everything in it….
                It has now been over 2 months that I have been here.  We have a little under two months left. Yikes. Crud. That is not good.  Too much left that I want to do.  I need to find the pause button on life’s remote. 
                A lot has happened in the past week, but then again not that much has happened.  We have been kept super busy with class, service, homework (to the extreme…I don’t think I have ever had this much homework..it stinks that I have it now while I am abroad) and just life.  We have spent some time doing homework in the sun on the roof.  We have had some super nice weather, but also some super cloudy and “cold” days.  I even needed to wear jeans instead of shorts with my t-shirt one day because it was a bit chilly. 
                We have met some new people.  We had some friend’s from Lidnsay’s volleyball team over for dinner and then they had us over for dinner on Heather’s birthday.  They are really great. Lauren, Abbie, and Chi Chi are all from South Africa.  They are a lot of fun and have introduced us to a few of their friends. 
                For music class last week we went on a field trip to hear a township musican play some jazz music.  Dudley Tito and his band were AMAZING.  Wow.  I was blown away. 
                I went with a friend to a bible study at another friend’s church.  It was very interesting to say the least.  Ask me more about it if you want to know the details.
                Last Friday we (my flatmates and I ) had a spa day.  We drove to Casa Mia and received a ladies day package.  It included: Indian head, neck and shoulders massage, sauna time, hydrobath, color element full body massage, pedicure, and lunch.  It was the first time I ever had a massage.  It was really nice.  We did this for Heather because it was her birthday weekend.
                House has been fun.  The kids are starting to really get used to us being there.  We are starting to get to see more of their real personalities.  I love it. 
                In bio today we had a lab practical where we went down to a rocky shore to collect data.  We saw lots of cool sea creatures: a blue jelly fish, a mini star fish, lots of limpets, snails of different shapes, colors, and sizes, and lots of other cool things. 
                A lot of the reading we have had to do has been about dark, depressing and disturbing topics.  We are currently reading My Traitor’s Heart for seminar.  The reading this time really hit me.  The stories are horrible accounts of what happened to real people.  I think sometimes we read it and kind of shrug it off as, “oh that was gross” or sad or disturbing.  Not often do I really realize that these things happened to real human beings.  Wow. I got sick to my stomach and my head and heart started to hurt as I trudged through these painful tales.  In Desmod Tutu’s (another author we have read) postscript he
says that you are supposed to be like a dishwasher not a vacuum…don’t suck everything up and hold on to it…you need to take it all in and then let it all out…I am realizing that I am bad at being a dish washer…

well I think that is it for random tidbits of my life right now.  What is going on in your life?  Please inform me.  I miss not hearing what is going on at home. 
Have a good weekend.
Love,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment