Thursday, March 17, 2011

Let it change you.

“Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard
I decided to study abroad because I wanted to experience more of the world.  I wanted my eyes to be opened so that I could view life in a different way.  I also wanted to learn more about myself and who I want to become.  I am trying to be as open as possible.  This trip is definitely good for me.  It is making me become more spontaneous and helping me to accept not always being able to plan. 
                This may come as a surprise to you, but I am a worry wort! J I fear lots of little things and I stress over everything.  South Africa is teaching me (rather forcing me) to relax.  I am learning to get over these fears and am trying new things.  A common phrase that we say a lot here is “we’re in Africa, when else will we get a chance to do this in Africa?”  This has helped us get over some of our fears and try things we usually would be to afraid to do.  For example, surfing.  I never thought I would ever be able to say that I went surfing.  But last Friday we went on a day trip to Jeffery’s Bay and took surfing lessons.  At the beginning I was super nervous. I just about chickened out… But then I convinced myself by saying, “how many other times will I be able to go surfing in South Africa?”  Once we got in the water, it actually wasn’t as terrifying.  We all ended up having a blast.  I found out that I am a very good knee surfer.  Standing up while surfing proved to be a little more difficult. J
                Another thing that is changing about me is that I am becoming more culturally aware.  On Saturday we had a group excursion to Grahamstown.  Throughout the day we learned a lot about traditional South African music, learned to play the drums, ate a traditional Xhosa meal and learned a traditional dance.  We did most of this in a small, rural Xhosa village.  It was a really unique experience. 

As for more general updates:
Classes are going well. Lots and lots of homework. I am sick of reading. My brain is starting to hurt.  At House we are still painting rooms and playing with the kids.  Ahh exciting note…I learned the boy in the blue shirt’s name…Yibanathi but everyone calls him Iba.  It made me so happy to finally figure out his name.  Here is a picture of him.


Here is another picture from House.  This is from the first day we went there.  The kids were super excited to see us and started climbing all over us.  We didn’t know what to do.  Little did we know, we would soon become the kids’ favorite jungle gyms every time we saw them.



Well, I think that is all for now. Hope you are having a great week. Happy St. Patrick’s day. 
We are going on a trip this weekend to Hogsback (it is the place that inspired author JR Tolkien to write Lord of the Rings).  Don’t worry I will take plenty of pictures.
Love,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment