Thursday, March 3, 2011

When I was a young warthogggggg....

Sorry...I have had that song stuck in my head the past few days. :]

Hi again.  I realized that as of 2 days ago (March 1st), I have been on this South African adventure for a month! It is crazy how fast the time has gone.  There is still so much I want to do and see…I need to get a move on.
                This past week we have done quite a lot.  We have explored a South African shopping mall (Walmer shopping center) and were surprised at how similar it was to the malls back home.  It reminded me of a larger version of Ridgedale. We also went to a fruit and vegetable market.  The produce was pretty cheap and really good!  We went to another rugby game at the World Cup Stadium.  This time we went with Suvi and some of her roommates and friends.  We met a lot of new people and ended up with a group of about 20. 
                On Saturday we had another braai (like a BBQ).  I love those. They remind me of summer.  My favorite part of the night was making s’mores! I had been craving them the entire time we have been here and was reminded of that every time I saw a fire.  We had to improvise a little with the ingredients but they still tasted amazing.
                We have spent some more time relaxing on the beach (I got sunburnt once again!) L  I also have been doing a lot of homework.  I am finally getting into the routine of school, after having had such a long winter break.  I still do not like homework but being able to do homework at the beach makes it a little more bearable.
                At House, we have been painting more of the rooms.  I think we have 3 rooms done now.  We also got to take the kids outside this week.  They loved it. 
               
                This week our classes have been pretty fun. Monday for our music class we went on a field trip to a highschool where 8th and 12th graders performed for us on the Marimba.  They were so good.  They played many popular songs that we recognized.  Then they taught us how to play.  We actually learned pretty quickly and didn’t sound that bad.  I struggled a little bit but realized that I wish I had my own marimba so I could practice.  I really like them.   Today (Thurs) for marine bio, we had a lab down at the beach.  We were helping a grad student with her thesis project.  We had to collect samples of snails and then measure them and classify them.  It was actually kind of cool…way better than a 3 hour lecture J
                This weekend we are going on a group excursion to a farm.  I am not exactly sure what we are doing but it sounds like it should be fun.  I will let you know more about it when I get back. 

I miss you all. Hope you are doing well.  Please feel free to contact me via facebook or email…I want to know how you are doing. 
Love & Prayers,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment