Friday, May 27, 2011

Good byes are not my favorite...In fact I hate them...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I leave Africa tomorrow! Holy cow. This is so hard. I hate saying goodbye, especially to people and places I have become so attached to.  I never imagined it would be this difficult. 

We have once again done quite a bit in the last week.  One of my favorite things was going on a boat ride on the open ocean for my marine biology class.  The boats were pretty small and kind of sketchy, but it was fun nonetheless.  It was a pretty windy day and the waves were pretty large.  There were a few times when I thought we were going to fly out of the boat.  We were headed to bird island where there is the world’s largest population of African penguins.  We ended up making it half way and had to turn around because up ahead there were apparently 5 m swells.  It was ok though because we ended up seeing about 11 dolphins super close to our boat.  It was so cool. 

Throughout this semester we have done so much and seen so much.  A lot of it has changed us.  For our last seminar class we had to do some reflections and this is some of what I wrote:

1) I know I have changed as a result of my experience because…
-my mindset is different, I feel like I am not as stressed about the little things
-I am learning to trust more
-I now want to travel abroad more
-I value culture more
2) Lessons learned that I never want to forget…
-not to stress over time or the little things…relax and enjoy life
                -African time has been good for me
-Be PRESENT!

I will be home in 2 days after traveling through many airports, planes and layovers for 36 hrs.  This is so crazy.  See you all SOON.  Please get in touch with me, I would love to see you!
Love from Africa,
-laura

No comments:

Post a Comment