Saturday, May 21, 2011

How can it be?

I have 7 days left in this amazing place, this wonderful yet broken country, this place I now call home.  How can that be true? This time has gone so fast.  I can count the days on my hands…and when you can count the number of days on your hands, it is never a good sign!
I am excited to go home and see people, but I don’t want to say good bye to South Africa, to the people I have met, to the places I have explored, and to the kids who I have come to love.  I don’t think I can leave them without my heart breaking. 

Hmmm…I don’t even know what to tell you.  It has been a very busy two and a half weeks since our fall break trip.  We have had so much homework that we are being buried alive.  Other than that we have done a lot of random stuff:

-Experienced a little bit of Finnish culture in South Africa…our friends Suvi, Sari, and Jan had a Finnish party, where they made lots of foods from home.  It was all so good.
-we saw the NMMU choir perform….they are one of the top rated choirs in SA I think…they travel to different countries to compete. It was so good.  They performed some choir songs that reminded me of AHS choir, and then also some traditional SA songs.
-we went to an Ethiopian restaurant…it was in kind of a sketchy area but we had a big group and so it was fine. There was no silverware because Ethiopian food is usually eaten with your hands.  As could be expected, it was super messy.  The food was kind of spicy so I wasn’t a huge fan, but everyone else loved it.  It was still a cool experience though. 
-we had a “fun day” with the kids at House. We rented two bouncy castles, did face painting and had a braai.  It was so much fun.  Ahhh I love those kids.
-My friend Sara Sandwick, who is a CSB nursing student, arrived in PE. It is so much fun to have her here!
-we had our last day at House….I don’t even know what to think. It is already difficult to think about this and I don’t even think I have fully grasped that I am not going to see those kids again.  When I do grasp it…oh man…it will be not a fun day.

Anyway, that is a bit of the random stuff we have been up to.  There has been so much more but I am lazy at the moment.  Sorry. You will just have to hear the stories from me IN PERSON IN 7 DAYS!!!! Holy cow.

Miss you and see you SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment